Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hosanna

Day 22
Mark 11:1-11
-The Triumphal Entry

Hosanna - A powerful word in a powerful context. I have heard the term many times and know that it is one of many names for the Lord. I did not know where it came from or how it was used for the first time. In this section Jesus is returning to Jerusalem for the last time. On the way He was riding on a colt and the people of the town where all around Him shouting "Hosanna!" Like I said, powerful.

- I read these verses on Friday afternoon, and with all the hoopla of the weekend I decided to let the scripture marinate in my brain before I blogged about it. And in that time I found out again how moving music really is. I have the song Hosanna by Hillsong United (amazing worship band) playing on my blog, so I know the song and love the song. And yet when they sang this song live at church on Saturday night I was moved. Absolutely made me realize the majesty of that term. So now when I hear the name Hosanna I will have an image of the Jesus riding through town with people laying their coats on the ground so that even his horse doesn't have to touch the Earth.

PS - Yes even a boy with absolutely no rhythm or musical ability can be moved by music. I can't carry a tune, don't even know what pitch is, can't clap to the beat, never know the rhythm of anything, and have even done an awkward fist pump at church at the absolute wrong moment. Yeah, that's all me, and still I can't help but sing this song at the top of my lungs.

No comments:

Post a Comment