Monday, August 9, 2010

Blurred Lines

Friday night we had to privilege to go to a 16th birthday party for one of our friend's daughters. We went to Going Bonkers which is a big indoor play area from kids off all ages (including the 28 yr old dads). Not were you would think a 16 year old would pick but given the families involved it was a good time.
As I sat with the people there, all families from our church, I thought about all the ways that our lives are connected and how fun it was to all come together and spend time playing.
There were 4 families which equalled 11 kids which equals good times.
1st story line: The Kuders, which it was their daughter's bday invited us all because we are friends first and foremost.
2nd: I am in charge of weekday childcare and the Kuders are on my team
3rd: I work in the nursery on Sunday, the mom of one family is a vol in the nursery on Sunday
4th: The Kuders are Landon's teachers on weeknights
5th: The Kuders are Lillian's teachers on weekends
6th: Another girl there was Lillian's teacher when she was in the younger hallway
7th: The lady from the nursery was Lillian's teacher when she was a newborn
8th: One guy was on staff at our church
9th: When I was teaching elementary kids on weeknights I was one of the Kuder girl's teacher
So you can see our lives are all intertwined. And it is awesome.
So when Landon went off to play with the Kuder girls in the play area she came back to me all excited and full of stories. She kept telling me what all her "teachers" had taught her. I know there are a lot of story lines above, but the Kuder girls have never been her teachers. She was so confused.
Which got me thinking: how awesome is it that we are so engaged in connecting on so many levels that Landon can't figure out what title to call people. There are so many ways we could identify each other if we chose titles, but instead we just call each other friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment