Wednesday, October 21, 2009

With Towel And Basin

Matthew 6:12-15

I have heard the story of Jesus washing the disciples feet many times. I have heard it, read about it, even thought about it many times. But I always thought about it was about the physical task of washing the feet. I thought it was about not being ashamed to do certain tasks in life. I thought it was about not getting to big for your britches. It is only today that my thoughts have totally shifted. I now can see that it is about forgiving sins and people before the sin has even occurred. It was about Jesus, just before the Passover Feast, knowing that the disciples where about to not stand with him, washing their feet and forgiving their sins. He said in John 13:7 "You don't understand now what I am doing, but you will understand later." When the disciples would later run and hide they would hang their heads in shame. Doing that they would look at their feet and know that their Savior had just hours before already washed the filth from them. What a powerful example of the forgiveness we should have. We should forgive with our hearts, but also put some action in it. We should show people that we have a heart of forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment